Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Vampires and Weres and Telepaths Ho Hum

In a few weeks I will be deconstructing poetry and deciphering narrative so I wanted to fill myself with as much silly and fun reading as I can right now. Like filling up on junk food before going to the health spa. So my light and fluffy choice for holiday reading involved vampires and lycans. I read both Laurell K Hamilton's new Anita Blake book Hit List and Charlaine Harris's new Sookie Stackhouse book Dead Reckoning. Neither was very satisfying.

Hamilton had backed herself into a corner with the uber-evil dead coming after Anita so she spent the whole book with the lesser interesting characters killing them off. Ho Hum. And Harris has lost the fun - it was all blood and murder and very little sex and romp. Ho Hum. Someone new needs to start up with that innocent good fun of first love.

And I need to read something with a little more substance, I guess. I could finish Maugham's Of Human Bondage which I was loving reading (don't know why that got put down?) or I could start my first Patrick White book, or I could finish Game of Thrones or start Truth by Peter Temple. I have over 100 books in my library that I haven't read yet. I don't really know which to pick next I just know it won't be another Ho Hum vampire story.

No comments:

Post a Comment