Friday, October 7, 2011

Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson

I write this blog for myself, mostly. I know there are a couple of people that read it but mostly it is just a way for me to express myself about the books that I read. This isn't scholarly critique or anything that I would hand in to my university professor. But I truly enjoy writing these entries. I can just let go and say whatever I feel with focus. So, I love this blog whether anyone else reads it or not - this is me.

Now, about Before I Go To Sleep. Well, em, I'll just say up front - it's not my cup of tea, or my bit of chocolate, or my walk in the park. It's a psychological thriller that's really only thrilling at the end. There is a long first part that sets the scene. The poor woman in this story has forgotten her whole life every morning when she wakes up in a strange house, with a strange man next to her in bed. That's enough of a freak out. But soon the reader realizes that there is something else wrong. I'll give SJ some props here - she picked a really difficult premise to set a mystery around because to the protagonist everything is a mystery. She does a pretty good job too. It's just a little to contrived for me.

I would suggest this book for book groups - it would be great to discuss the mechanics of the writing. I have several friends that would really like this book. It's different and interesting. So please, if you liked Room by Emma Donoghue then you will like this book. They are the same speed and have the same feeling. I just prefer something with a bit more guts. Julian Barnes - here I come.

Oh, and you must go to the link I put in for the book - there is a great little promo video.

No comments:

Post a Comment