Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Death at Pemberly by P D James

Oh dear. What happened here? I'm not sure what to say.

I ordered this book for my new Kindle and opened it with glee. I only started to read Jane Austen a few years ago and have been continuously delighted with every book. She is witty, clever, a great tale teller and wonderful at developing characters that are so real and memorable. P D James - not so much. I don't really understand why she felt the need to use Elizabeth and Darcy as her characters. I understand that she is a huge Austen aficionado and that those characters are out of copyright and fair game but....

The book actual fails. There is no interesting anything. I didn't enjoy the people even though we know exactly who they are - she didn't bring forth any of their characteristics already established. The setting was dull. The story lagged for so long I lost interest. The ending is predictable and ho hum.

Oh dear. I hate being mean to a 91 year old legend but she shouldn't have done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment