Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Dragons : Camelot by Colin Thompson

The Dragons is a series of novels that will finally tell the Whole World the TRUTH about the legendary King Arthur and the legendary Castle of Camelot and some legendary dragons and the legendary wizard Merlin and all that ancient stuff that happened long, long ago in the legendary land they called Avalon. Actually the inhabitants of Avalon did not call it Avalon. They called it 'Here'. (from Colin Thompson’s web site)

This book is funny. The humour is aimed at teen and preteen readers but I found myself chuckling quite a bit. As I’ve said before, writing for kids of any age is tricky. You can’t patronise them – they will see right through you and never pick up another of your books. You can’t pull your punches because they will call you out. You can’t ‘write for kids’ really, you need to write what is in your own head and if that appeals to people under 16 then you are one of the lucky ones. Kids are loyal. Kids will buy your next book. They will stand in line to buy your next book. They will talk their friends into buying your books. They will write you letters telling you how much they loved (or hated) your books. They are an amazing audience and you would do well to put your faith in them, even if you are an adult, and are looking for something to read. Pick up something from your kid’s bookshelf (or your niece’s, nephew’s, someone else’s kid’s), and if it happens to be Colin Thompson you are in for a little light reading treat. It is silly and funny, and believe me – you will get the jokes even if you are all grown up. I’m giving this to a friend who needs a laugh!

“But Camelot was so exquisitely beautiful that, by comparison, even the Blue Bird of Paradise looked as ugly as a bald eighty-seven-year-old hippopotamus with cracked skin and one ear.”

“In Camelot’s moat, the olms grow big enough to swallow a horse, which they often do. The largest and oldest olm, Krakatoa, had lived in the moat since the ancient days, which ended about half an hour before time began. Olms do not eat knights. They just suck off their armour and cover them with slime that is slimier than any slime you have ever seen and smells dreadful. Knights this has happened to are sent to the Downwind Islands at the far end of the moat until the smell wears off , which can take years.”

Last words from Colin Thompson:
"I have always believed in the magic of childhood and think that if you get your life right that magic should never end. I feel that if a children's book cannot be enjoyed properly by adults there is something wrong with either the book or the adult reading it. This of course, is just a smart way of saying I don't want to grow up.

My favourite fruit is cherries and my favourite music is Rock and Roll and old Blues records and I am now an Australian citizen. I am left-handed and colour-blind."

My favourite fruit is raspberries and my favourite music is Tom Waits and I am an Australia and American citizen. I am right handed and can knit. And I will be reading more of Colin Thompson when the oportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment