Sunday, May 8, 2011

Drowning not reading.

I have books all over my house. I have fiction, nonfiction, self help, and craft books up the wazoo. I have magazines and cook books and I have an eBook reader that has over 100 books on it. I can’t find anything to read!! I don’t know what is going on. I can’t settle to a book. I started reading Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. It’s great and I just don’t feel like reading it anymore. I don’t know why? I started reading Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey. It has gotten such good reviews. I read the first chapter and now I am over it already. What the? I have a self help book or two on the go – Health at Every Size by Linda Bacon (what a name for someone trying to help you not eat!) and The Lost Art of Real Cooking by Ken Albala. Bah! I am into the second book of The Once and Future King by T H White – I love it and I can’t pick it up! I have ordered Game of Thrones by G. Martin and I bet I won’t be able to read that either. I’m frustrated and a little scared. I’m not sure if I’ve lost the art of reading or I am just in a screwy place at the moment. I can’t remember ever feeling like this before. I feel a little panicky to tell the truth.

What do you do when you can’t read? Or rather, when no book captures your fancy, when no story sparks that place where you know you are going to go on a fabulous adventure and to hell with the dishes and dirty clothes (my dishes and dirty clothes are all clean, btw)? Do you have an old standby to get the literary juices flowing again or do you always look for something new? I’m at a loss and I would really like to find my way home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment